Saturday, March 26, 2016

Greek Gyros



Greek Gyros




Gyros is the greek version of the turkish Doener Kebab I posted before. Since their neighbor countries and in history they belonged together, they have similar dishes. The greek us a little bit different herbs though. When I don't want to eat it in a bread like the Doener, I like to make the Gyros instead. 

Thats what you need: 

- 5 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil             

- 2 TBSP Paprika                                   

- 1 TSP Oregano                                     

- 1/4 TSP - 1 TSP Caraway Seeds          

- 1/4 - 1 TSP Marjoram                           

- 1 TSP Parsley                                        

- 1/4 TSP Salt                                           

- 1/2 TSP white Pepper                             

- 2 cloves Garlic (fresh minced or powder)

- Juice of 1 small Lemon                            

- 2 big Onions, chopped or Onion Powder 




Mix well all the ingredients together. For the meat I usually use Pork loins, cut in nice slices. No cubes. Brine the meat with the herb mix for at least 30 min.. Then add it in a non-stick pan and fry it nicely brown. You will not need to add more oil to the pan since there is enough Oil in the herb mixture. 
I serve Tzatziki with it (I posted the recipe before) and Rice. When I cook the rice, I add a bit Tomato Paste and a handful of peas. I also like to serve a salad with it. In this picture here i cubed cucumbers and Tomatoes, mixed with Feta cheese and a greek dressing. 




Guten Appetit 

No comments:

Post a Comment