Sunday, March 13, 2016

Doener Kebab / Shawarma

                    Doener Kebab (turkish fast food)




Today I made Doener Kebab. It's the turkish version of Shawarma. I grew up with this "fast food" in Germany. Therefor, I missed it terrible. My husband, a retired Army soldier, used to eat it after a 
night at the club ;-). The Greek would call it Gyros Pita. It is very similar. Both very delicious. 
So, I started with finding me a vertical Rotisserie oven. I found one at walmart online for a reasonable price. I ordered it and after a week waiting it finally was there. Enough time for me to prepare the ingredients. First of all, I needed a season mix, the Doener season. I found 2 recipes for it and just combined them. I think, it turned out pretty authentic. 

Update: If you don't want to purchase a big vertical Rotisserie oven, you can just slice the meat thinly and pan fry it for your Doener. This is how I usually do for my Gyros. 

For the Doener season you need:

- 1 TBS salt

- 1 TBS black pepper

- 4 TBS Paprika 

- 1 TBS Oregano

- 1 TBS Basil

- 1 TBS Garlic powder

- 1 TBS Rosemary

- 1 TBS ground Coriander




To prepare the meat for the Doener Kebab:

- Doener Kebab season

- Lamb meat

- Chicken breast

- Onion

all prepared as thin as possible.







Season the meat.
 Now you prepare the stick. Usually the Doener Grill just has one stick to put the meat on but
this Rotisserie oven had more. So I just worked around it (like literally lol). Update: I used the flower lid of a mason jar to fill the gap and removed the sticks around so I ended up with just one stick in the middle. Add half a big onion at the bottom so your meat sits on it.  Continue until there was no spot left. (you can use all kinds of meat as you desire. But I found the Lamb meat giving it a tangy flavor and more authentic. ) make sure that the bottom is a bit narrower then the top. I figured its easier to cut later. Use both your hands to form and press it nicely together while you wrap it in foil and then let it sit in the fridge for couple of hrs..





My vertical grill was set to 500 degrees and rotating. As soon as the outside is done, cut it down vertically. We usually cut the whole meat first before starting eating. Just warm it up again in the microwave. 




For the Doener Sauce you need: 

- 4-5 TBS Sour Cream

- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream

- Salt

- olive oil

- Paprika 

- Dill

- 2 cloves Garlic, finely minced  (or pressed through a garlic press) 

It should run smoothly from a spoon. 

Stir that together and let sit for at least 1 hrs so the Garlic can do its magic.




Now it's serving time. For my Doener Kebab you need 

- Pita Bread (for example this one. I had mine for a couple of min at the Panini maker)
heat up your oven to 350 degrees. Sprinkle the bread with water and bake it for just a min or 2. It will wake up the bread and you can cut a pocket into it without breaking the bread. 


- Meat

- Sauce

- Tomatoes

- Onions

- Iceberg lettuce (optional)

- red cabbage (optional)

- Feta cheese (optional)

- red pepper flakes (optional)

- Cole slaw (optional) (you find the recipe on my blog)





Now all I can say is..................

Guten Appetit 




No comments:

Post a Comment